Application deadline extended to Tuesday, January 14, 2020 for participation in Leipzig Book Fair (March 12-15, 2020).
In anticipation of Canada’s upcoming presence as the Guest of Honour at the Frankfurt Book Fair in 2020, we are excited to announce that for the second consecutive year, Canada will have a collective stand at the Leipzig Book Fair!
The Leipzig Book Fair is the second largest book fair in Germany and takes place over four days on the Leipzig Trade Grounds. It is the inaugural gathering of the year for the German book industry and it is where Canada will officially launch its literary program, setting the stage for its Guest of Honour presentation in Frankfurt in October.
Exhibiting on the Canada Stand in Leipzig provides an excellent opportunity for members of the Canadian publishing industry to expand their understanding of the German book market, sell and buy rights, generate new contacts, strengthen existing relationships with German partners, and discover new business opportunities all under Canada’s upcoming Guest of Honour presence at the Frankfurt Book Fair. It also allows direct exchange and rapport with the German reading audience, German booksellers, literary mediators, and festival programmers and is, therefore, an instrumental opportunity to gain insight into the German book market and current trends.
The Department of Canadian Heritage, the Embassy of Canada in Germany, Livres Canada Books and Canada FBM2020 will be supporting the presence of Canadian publishers and literary agents in Leipzig in 2020.
- A Canada Stand will be made available for Canadian publishing representatives to exhibit and host meetings;
- Livres Canada Books will administer and manage the Canada Stand;
- Canada FBM2020 in partnership with the Embassy will facilitate a literary programming component as part of the official launch of the literary program for the Guest of Honour presentation;
- Select B2B activities will be available for exhibitors at Leipzig with the potential of organizing meetings outside of Leipzig in nearby cities pre- or post- Leipzig;
- Support towards travel expenses will be available for eligible participants through the Foreign Rights Marketing Assistance Program (FRMAP).
- A registration fee per participating exhibitor will be required (maximum of $500);
- A number of international trade fairs are taking place around the Leipzig Book Fair, among others are London Book Fair (March 10 – 12), Salon du livre de Paris (March 20 – 23) and Bologna Children’s Book Fair (March 30 – April 2), which offers interested participants the opportunity to attend the Leipzig Book Fair in association with one or several of these trade fairs for networking and business purposes.
Exhibiting participants will have access to:
- 1 exhibitor pass per sharing exhibitor
- 1 table and 3 chairs (shared with partner exhibitor)
- 4 display shelves per sharing exhibitor (1m wide each)
- listing in the official print and online fair catalogue and Canada Stand directory
- consolidated shipping at exhibitor’s expense
- set-up and tear-down
- reception desk service
Publishing representatives interested in exhibiting on the Canada Stand should read the guidelines and fill out an online form by Tuesday, January 14, 2020. Places are limited. A selection process will be put in place, if applicable. This process will include the participation of a selection committee to select a delegation of Canadian publishers and agents, who will represent the diversity of Canadian publishing.
Selection criteria decisions related to exhibiting on the Canada Stand will be based on the objectives stated above and will consider the following criteria:
• Potential of applicant’s titles in the German market
• Stage of development and implementation of the applicant’s export strategy to Germany
• Interest in the Guest of Honour project
• Quality of the responses presented by the applicant
Deadline for receipt of applications: Tuesday, January 14, 2020
For more information on the application procedure, please contact Christy Doucet, Senior Programs Manager, before Tuesday, January 14, 2020, by email at email@example.com or telephone at (613) 562-2324, extension 225.
*Please note that only FRMAP eligible participants will have access to funding support for applications submitted as of January 2020.